The spine is a multifunctional anatomical structure that provides shape, motion and protection to our bodies. It is comprised of 24 articulated bones separated by cartilage discs with eight to nine fused bones at the bottom. Whenever there is wear, injury or disease, symptoms range from mild discomfort to crippling pain. Back pain is the most common cause for work disabilities and one of the reasons that we might be forced to abandon a healthy and active lifestyle.
Spine pain symptoms include dull aches, shooting pain, stiffness and limited motion in the neck, back or lower back, inability to stand with proper posture and radiating pain down one or both arms and/or legs. The spine can be injured by improper lifting techniques, accidents, sudden movements or falls. The loss of cartilage in the discs between spinal bones due to age, overuse, poor posture, arthritis, osteoarthritis or degenerative disease may cause symptoms without a previous traumatic incident.
At PRMEDICA we start the healing process with a proper assessment and a correct diagnosis. Then, treatment plans for spine conditions include: stem cells and exosomes injections into the affected segments and/or a high dose Stem Cell IV infusion, ozone therapy and ozonated platelet rich plasma. Stem Cell/Exosome injections are performed by a specialist with local anesthesia under double doppler ultrasound guidance. If your condition can not be treated with our regenerative treatments alone, we offer consultations with a Neurosurgeon to explore additional treatment options.
Here are details of the stem cell procedure for the treatment of degenerative disease of the spine:
Below are the details of the new procedure.
- The process starts with a clinical consultation and a focused orthopedic assessment. Xrays, ultrasound and/or MRI imaging and complete blood work are then performed to determine suitability for a stem cell treatment.
- Ozone therapy sessions might be indicated to treat pain, swelling and soft tissue injuries and prepare the spine for an injection. This aids to direct the stem cells into targeting the tissue that needs repairing or replacing.
- Depending on each condition, the attending physician recommends the amount of stem cells or a combination of stem cells and exosomes to be used in each spinal segment to be treated. The amount ranges between 25 and 50 million mesenchymal stem cells plus 1 to 5 ml. exosomes. These therapeutic doses depend on the severity of the condition and are proven to give optimal results.
- For severe spinal conditions or multiple damaged intervertebral discs, our physicians may recommend an additional high dose of IV Stem cell/Exosome Infusion. Up to 200 million stem cells plus 1 to 10 ml. of exosomes are delivered through an IV.
- Each stem cell/exosome syringe is mixed with the patient’s own ozonated platelet rich plasma drawn and centrifuged that same day. This personalized mix provides the joint with your own healing factors, a powerful anti-inflammatory gas and the tissue regenerative potential of stem cells. The exosomes help further the stem cells differentiation process.
- The attending physician injects into the affected spinal joint under double doppler ultrasound guidance to pinpoint with absolute precision the exact location of the injection. Local anesthesia and a mild relaxing medication are also applied.
In addition, the patient is given a vitamin and mineral supplement to help with the restoration of cartilage. As part of our Stem Cell Spine Treatment Procedure, we also recommend the Stem Cell Booster implant which is injected with a tiny needle under the skin of the belly. It contains nutrients derived from placenta and freeze-dried stem cells. The Stem Cell Booster implant nourishes the injected Stem Cells and boosts your own supply of stem cells to enhance the healing process.